As you are aware, Tom’s last Sunday with us was June 16. Our new pastor, Dawn, is finishing obligations at her present church and will be with us for the first time on Rally Day, Sept. 8.
We have an agreement with Rev. Jim Gerling to be our interim pastor for the Sundays in between. Jim served as pastor of the Presbyterian Church in Geneva for over 30 years and he and his wife, Jane, worshipped with us frequently the year following his retirement. He has also served as a Supply Pastor for Tom in the past few years.
Expectations for the interim period are described below:
- Sunday Worship leadership including preparation of the bulletin with hymn selections, call to worship, invocation, the pastoral prayer and sermon. Jim is not available July 14, August 25 or September 1. We will be working to fill the schedule for those Sundays.
- Be on call for pastoral care for emergencies. Non-emergencies contact or visits will be offered by our Visitation Committee.
- Be present in the church office a few days a week. Be responsive to staff needs by phone or email.
- Be available to consult with the Moderator and the Chairs of Trustees and Deacons on issues relevant to the life of our church family.
- Perform a funeral or baptism as requested by a family and work with them on planning and performing that service. It is understood that a fee for a funeral will be paid by the family. There is no fee expectation for a baptism performed during the regular Sunday worship service.
We are fortunate to find people familiar with our church take on these assignments.